In one of the organizations I worked, my boss instructed me not to do something. I knew his instructions were wrong. I went ahead, completed the task. Two months later, it succeeded. The issue was resolved wonderfully and it worked. My boss was happy. He said, “see I told you; decision making is not easy, it comes with experience…” I heard his speech. When completed, I hesitatingly said, ‘sir..sorry..but I want to tell you.. I took exactly opposite decision to what you told me…but sir it doesn’t matter, ultimately it was important to succeed…isn’t it sir?” Recalled Shakespeare: ‘To (do) say or not to (do) say, that is the question’. I was in a dilemma. But I had already shot my response!

He looked at me. His eyes balls had popped out. I understood what Cornea, Retina looked like. Saw the venomous hiss sprinting out of his twin-barrelled lips like the bugle sounding the last post, “Never take decisions on your own. Remember you have limited exposure in HR. You are just about growing.  Trust experiences of people like us. I have spent 32 years in corporate. You think you have grown tall to take such decisions? You think all your decisions are right”?

“Sir, not all decisions, just this one….any case this decision was right & matter resolved, no sir?….” I almost spilled it out. Remembered Shakespeare again. So, shut up!! It’s best to roll up words for now, I whispered to myself.

Think: Why can’t bosses accept the right decision of others? Why can’t they appreciate subordinate’s decision? And what if that decision is right? My right decision of not following boss’s wrong decision and then working up the right decision for success was indeed right! And why fang it with an insipid, uninspiring, crematorial, blood-oozing  sermon…

#decisionmaking #rightdecision

Comments

  1. Cool, lots of guts. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking with boss about the decision really needs courage, that too at a juncture when you are new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayaram, that was wonderful! Through your experience, you explained what happens around globally---in corporates and otherwise. More people like you will make the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are a Mumbaikar if: